Thursday, July 16, 2009

Social Networks

I found out that everything that you were published in will be recorded. You need to be careful about the actions you take. People will be able to access the information.

Most of the things people had on me were my A’capella Group, Facebook page, articles that were written about me (I was in theatre growing up), and a movie that I was in college. The only thing I wouldn’t want people to see would be the movie I made in college because it has some themes that aren’t good for kids. Other than that everything checks out fine.

I wish I could go in and change the movie, but I can’t. It is posted on Youtube. The movie could be worse, so I won’t dwell on it. I had to go in and change some pictures on facebook. That is normal though because all my other Cohort friends had to do the same. Other then the movie and a few pictures everything is fine for view.

A teacher is in a fishbowl. They are figures that are held to higher standards. I feel like when you become a teacher you take on this responsibility. It comes with the territory. When you become a teacher, you become a role model. You have to hold yourself to higher standards.

The most interesting thing I learned from the article was the number of social networks that are available. I thought there were only Facebook and Myspace. The article said that there were ones in other countries that are more popular.

In order to protect myself and job I am going to be careful about what is seen of me online. I will check google every so often to make sure that I am being shown in a positive light. Ideally I want to live a life that I am not embarrassed about. I want people know that I strive to be a good person that follows their value set.

2 comments:

  1. I agree CJ. I had to change a few pictures myself on facebook! I think we are in a fishbowl, but we decided individually to enter a profession where this is a known fact to everyone. it does go with the territory, and we are under a microscope. peter

    ReplyDelete
  2. Teachers are absolutly living in a fishbowl. Its sort of creepy to think about your students googling you and discovering something you didn't know was out there. We as teacher must hold ourselves to higher standards and be able to talk about the choices we have made in our past. I look at these as opportunities to explore the importance of making good decisions with our students.

    ReplyDelete