Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Wikipedia Blog Post

1. How often do you use Wikipedia for research? Where do you usually start for researching a topic?
I use Wikipedia often for research. It is great way to get quick access to information. Not only is the information quick, but Wikipedia seems to have information on almost every topic. The information is usually plentiful.
I usually start my research with a credible source. This way I can cross reference Wikipedia and be confident in its content.
2. As a teacher, would you accept Wikipedia as a resource that your students can quote in their research? How does the article support/negates your idea of what to do with students?
As a teacher I would definitely accept Wikipedia as a source as long as the students have two other sources to back their argument. I wouldn’t accept Wikipedia as the sole source. I think it is good to teach students to find multiple sources to back up an argument.
The article supported my view point. It said it is good to have students check other sources. This can only help the student grow in research techniques.
3. What would your policy be surrounding internet research?
My policy for internet sources would be laid out clearly. I would tell the students that their sources would have to have a credible author. The website should have current information within the last 10 years. I would also require them to have one book source as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment